Welcome Spring and Kapha season. Living here in Bonita Springs is like living in perpetual spring/summer. I am so loving my life and feeling grateful for all my blessings, most especially the weather. Watching the weather in areas north and having a couple days of overcast skies creates the greatest contrast to fully appreciate it.
As the seasons change from winter to spring, take care to stay in balance, especially if your dominant dosha is Kapha. (Think of your dominant dosha as your weak point. If you already have an excess of something and pile on more, it naturally creates an imbalance.)
Kapha dosha is like earth and water together, and is heavy, cool and moist like the weather up north.
This is not our typical daily weather here in SW Florida. Even so, imbalances can still occur and common conditions can be aggravated in this time. (Don’t know your dominant dosha? Go to joyfulyoga.com and take the quiz.)
When our Kapha dosha is out of balance, it can manifest as colds, sinus congestion, weight gain, allergies, sluggishness, lethargy, depression and a lack of motivation. Here are some suggestions for balancing Kapha:
- Make choices that are warm, light, energizing, and purifying.
- Follow a regular daily routine; avoid taking naps during the day.
- Favor lighter, drier foods with pungent, bitter, and astringent tastes.
- Add raw local honey to your diet as a sweetener and tonic.
- Exercise every day: Vinyasa Yoga, brisk walking, running, bicycling, swimming, aerobics.
- Surround yourself with warm and bright colors, such as yellow, orange, purple and red. Add stimulating fragrances to your environment too.